What is counseling?
Counseling at Bethesda Health Clinic is a 45 minute, one-on-one conversation with a professional who is trained to help you understand what is going on in your mind, body, spirit and relationships, and help identify what you can do about it. Sometimes counseling focuses on finding new ways to look at things, teaching you skills to manage things when you’re overwhelmed, or specific work focused on deeply held struggles. Other times, you may simply need someone to listen without judgment while you talk through your own thoughts and feelings. You may only need a session or two to get a handle on what’s going on in your life. You may need weekly sessions for a few months to figure out complicated experiences or emotions. A counselor helps you determine what you want to accomplish and will stick with you while you work toward it.
Many people feel that the difficulties in their lives are “normal” and that they should be able to handle them alone. Imagine if we thought that same way about physical pain. Technically, headaches or muscle pain or even illness may be “normal”, but it’s still a good idea to use the tools available to you to feel better. In the same way, you don’t have to accept emotional or mental pain as something you are stuck with. Life is hard, but it can be easier. It’s okay to want to feel good. We’d love to help.
You are not just a physical body walking around. You have a mind, heart, and spirit, too. Here at Bethesda, we recognize the value of being a whole healthy person, not just a physically healthy one. If you’re struggling with anything in your thoughts, emotions, relationships or life circumstances, consider letting us help you work through it.
Don’t Struggle Alone.
Counseling visits are available at your normal copay of $20 or $30.
HOW TO APPLY
STEP 1 - DETERMINE IF YOU QUALIFY
Applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- Low income adults aged 18-64
- Dental-only applicants can be 65+
- You must be employed or perform an important unpaid job, such as being a caregiver, volunteer or participant in a self-improvement program (e.g. education, rehabilitation, etc.)
- Uninsured or underinsured (We do not accept Medicaid or Medicare)
STEP 2 - APPLY ONLINE
- Click here to apply online.
- If you do not have access to the internet, applications can be picked up at the clinic.
STEP 3 - PREPARE YOUR DOCUMENTATION
- A valid photo ID
- Proof of income (recent paystub or awards letter)
- Latest filed tax return (1040 pages 1 and 2)